Thursday, April 21, 2016

Insights Gained (Module 8)

This is my final post as part of my EDUC 8306 course work.
Insights Related to Technology
Two insights related to technology that inspired me were first, the variety of technologies being used and second, I want to put more technology tools in my instructional toolbox, so to speak. My first insight was the variety of technologies that my classmates are using in their own classrooms, everything from 3-d simulations to productivity tools to social media. My second insight was that I had the desire to search out and use more technology for and with my students. I am especially interested in incorporating more productivity tools such as Padlet and Google tools to enhance the teaching of the research process to the students.
Insights on Technology and Andragogy
I am also to write about andragogy and technology. Knowles, Holton, and Swanson (2014) have identified and described the key principles of andragogy: adults need to know, be self-directed, draw on prior experience, encounter authentic tasks, and learn from internal motivation. Two insights about technology for supporting learning and related to andragogy that inspired me are first, the self-directed nature of many of the technologies and second, the possibilities for authentic tasks. I will incorporate these insights into my future teaching practice by investigating applications that will leverage adult students’ desire for self-direction, such as lecture-capture, so that they can watch a lesson at their own pace and as many times as needed to understand the information. Moreover, through technology, students can apply and analyze this information in ways that have value and meaning outside of the classroom. Two technologies might be Twitter and blogging.

Although this is my last post for the class, I plan on continuing writing about how I am using technology in my basic writing classes. 

Reference
Knowles, M. S., Holton III, E. F., & Swanson, R. A. (2014). The adult learner: The definitive classic in adult education and human resource development. Routledge.


1 comment:

  1. Susan-
    Yay! We made it! I've enjoyed reading your posts and working through the program with you. I've used many technologies in my classrooms, but this course has introduced me to many more and inspired me to think about other ways to incorporate technology into my teaching practice.
    Best of luck to you!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete